Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Everyday Reasons to be Prepared

It's currently the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and I had the great displeasure of having to make a last minute grocery trip to Wal-Mart. I did the bulk of my Thankgiving shopping at the beginning of the month, right after I made my meal plan and made my grocery list, but there are always the little things that I forget until go time. I usually make the last minute trip the weekend before but I had to work making the shopping trip a little difficult. So I had to go two days before the day.
Let me tell you now, it was crowded, more so than it usually is and especially for a Tuesday. People were everywhere and I'm a person that does not like crowds. I saw how rude some people can be. Shelves were getting bare, especially for basic things like flour and sugar. I, saw a lady yell at an employee because they were out of the only brand of all purpose flour she wanted, apparently she couldn't wrap her head around using a different brand. Another lady was upset because they were out of the large containers of peanut oil and there was no other way for her to cook her bird.
Luckily I was able to get everything I needed without having to cry about the store being out. I hated the whole experience and the whole time I was thinking one thing "if I had a proper food storage I wouldn't have to be here." I couldn't help but wish I was more prepared. As I was thinking about being more prepared I couldn't help but think about the empty shelves. I know that this time shelves would probably be refilled within a week but what if this was more long-term. What if there was a food shortage or gas shortage or, more believable last minute Christmas dinner shopping. Now I'm even more in the mindset that I should start building a better food storage and a more functional homestead so I don't have to deal with all the people that have their heads buried so far in the sand that they can't cook a different way or use a different brand of flour.
I doesn't have to be a life changing or doomsday event to see the importance of being prepared, sometimes it's the everyday real life situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment