Sunday, June 23, 2013

Homeschool Decisions

I've had  many naysayers telling me that I shouldn't try to teach my daughter anything at her age. I've been feeling discouraged because she knows stuff that many 2 year are not expected to know, and none of it was of my doing. I haven't pushed her to learn so far I guess right now she's a natural learner. I just don't understand why people are telling me not to do anything just let her play. I think she needs more of a challenge, I see nothing wrong with teaching her to read at 3 years old. That's why I'm dead set on getting her hooked on phonics when she turns 3 years old, plus they advertise that they are for 3 to 8-year-olds, I see no reason not to try. I'm also dead set on trying Moving beyond the page first I like the idea of unit studies, and literature based studies, over other methods. What I'm having trouble deciding is what to do for math, I like the idea of concepts and reasoning over rules and repetition. That's why I'm preferring Life of Fred, but Life of Fred is short and I feel I would need to add more to it, I was thinking of Mammoth Math but now I'm thinking of Singapore math. I think I will go with Singapore because it includes a kindergarten level. I can't wait for things to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment